Monday, November 24, 2008

Health is not Simply the Absence of Sickness ...

A quote I came across by Hannah Green ... dont ask me who she is/was, I don't know and apparently nor does Google. But its a great quote nonetheless.

In 1948, the World Health Assembly defined health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity"

So that's what it means to be healthy. Wow, that's a really tall order if you ask me. First of all it's a state of complete well being, not partly or almost but complete well being. And then ... it's not just physical but mental and social well being also. That's a whole lot to strive for!

No wonder we're seeing Wellness programs all over the place. Have you noticed? There's Chiropractic for Wellness, Workplace Wellness, Financial Wellness, Faith-based Wellness, Wellness through Yoga, Organic Wellness, Shrimp Gumbo (just wanted to make sure you were still reading), Womens' Wellness .... Oh yeah, even me ... my business card reads Massage for Health and Wellness.

Traditional medicine, exercise, nutrition, massage therapy, spirituality, psychotherapy ... All little pieces of the healthy you puzzle. I guess its not that much to strive for .... physical and emotional health really do go hand in hand anyway. And if you're feeling healthy physically, and balanced emotionally ... your social life is enhanced because others want to be around happy and healthy people.

So New Year's resolutions are right around the corner. Anyone want to get healthy with me?

Be Well,
Lea

No comments: